“Custom Homes” is part of our name. Mills Custom Homes specializes in building unique homes for our neighbors in the Coralville area of Iowa. What is the difference between a new subdivision home or condo and a custom home? You might be surprised at the similarities and what makes buying custom a better option for your family.
Custom Homes for Custom Preferences
The custom homes that we build are personalized to your tastes, style and required function. The process begins in our office where we discuss the size of the home you desire, its purpose, location and the price. We are able to adjust building materials, heating systems, flooring, floor plans and more. When you start at the beginning with our architects, you end up with the perfect home for all your needs.
The Cost of Custom Homes in Coralville
You may be surprised at the affordable cost of a custom home compared to other new builds in the area. Since you have control over all the finishes, you may be able to lower the cost of a five-bedroom home or one with a three-car garage to a price less than other comparable homes in the area.
Of course, if you desire all the high-end finishes and technology upgrades, you can spend to your heart’s desire. However, we understand that the majority of our clients have a strict budget to meet. Ultimately, for the same price as a traditional home, you get a better-quality home with the features that you want without settling on size or location.
Home Design Options
The process of building custom homes begins with considering all our basic home plans. The options are literally endless. Find a style such as transitional, Colonial, country or modern that appeals to your eye. You are able to select from a wide variety of architecture styles that blend into an existing neighborhood or create a look for your new gated community.
Once you have a starting spot, you are then able to begin building it from the ground up. The exterior can be brick, stucco, clapboard, vinyl or even new manufactured energy-efficient siding. Ask about custom windows and doors to elevate the appearance of the home while adding to its insulation ability.
While the bones of your custom home will be built to meet or exceed building codes, almost every finish in the home is available for you to choose:
- Floor plans: Take a standard floor plan and add the closets, garage, extra bath and privacy you desire.
- Bathroom fixtures: Upgrade to double vanities, floating vanity, water-efficient toilets, soaking tub, walk-in showers and in-floor radiant heating.
- Lighting fixtures: Select the finish you prefer and add task lights in working areas. Upgrade overhead fixtures to chandeliers or drop lights.
- Flooring: Choose from hardwood, manufactured hardwood, laminate, vinyl, carpeting or ceramic tile. Mix and match textures for a designer appearance.
- Countertops: Pair your bath and kitchen countertops with similar color and veining. Ask about natural stone, manufactured quartz and affordable laminates, and even concrete.
- Kitchen layout: Work with our kitchen designer to create your working triangle, and add a double wall oven, deep apron sink, oversized refrigerator and six-burner stove. Add a cupboard just for your appliances or spices.
- Doors: Help your home stand out with custom doors, solid wood, paneled, sliding barn doors or pocket doors. Ask about folding glass panels that connect your great room to the patio.
- Millwork: Crown molding, window frames and baseboard trim all elevate a home from ordinary to unique. Select the profile that pairs well with your choice of furnishings for a connected design.
- Heating and cooling: Talk to our HVAC engineers about energy-efficient options such as high-efficiency furnaces and the latest whole-home air conditioning units. Heat pumps, hybrid water heaters and even solar can be included to your custom home.
While we do buy land to develop, you may want to consider the custom homes that we create in established neighborhoods. Older neighborhoods often have the local infrastructure that appeals to many families such as schools and shopping. If you have a location in mind, we can work with you to purchase the lot you desire and create a custom home that fits with the neighborhood and helps breathe new life into older areas of town.
Did you find an older home that appeals but needs rehabilitation? We can apply our custom home-building skills to such a unique project. Custom means that you call the shots.
Time can vary depending on how unique a project you bring to us. If you select a home that is in progress and simply add your own finishes, you can be moving into your house in just about four months. If you are starting the process from scratch, it can take up to 16 months to obtain the land, create the design and construct the home. Consider some of the time-consuming steps and which ones you want to include on your build:
- Finding a lot / purchasing the land: 60 days
- Unique home / floor plan design: one month
- Breaking ground / pouring foundation: four to six weeks
- Construction of shell: one month
- Installation of windows and insulation: One to four weeks
That is six months, and you just achieved a shell with windows. The completion of the home will take another six to eight months beyond this point.
Custom homes in Coralville, IA are the perfect solution for a potential homebuyer who has a clear vision of the perfect home in the perfect neighborhood and who has the time needed to execute the plan. At Mills Custom Homes, we look forward to sitting down with you and working together to create a home that perfectly fits your busy family and active lifestyle.